Monday, February 2, 2009

Blessability


Watching the Super Bowl yesterday I saw several ads for a beer's "Drinkability." Logically speaking, all beers are drinkable or nobody could sell them. Coca-Cola is drinkable. Milk is drinkable. Water is drinkable, or needs to be made so if there are thirsty people who need it. But the drinkability idea has stuck. The search is on for the beer or other beverage with that inscrutable, indefinable quality called drinkability. The fact that this quality did not exist six months ago matters not at all.

Drinkability is now a measure of the quality of beer. Whatever that means. I wonder what new measures we can find in the same spirit. My dog might be evaluated for his CuteAbility. Imodium pills have great Stoppaflowability. I am sure all Smalltown church members' children and grandchildren have high PerfectAbility. My heavy-duty hammer, when faced with a nail, has remarkable Rammability. The Smalltown Scoop de Goop Ice Cream Parlor has milk shakes with superior Slurpability.

Our world, particularly our advertising world, is quick to set new trends and people seem all too eager to promote them. But it is just possible that there are other "abilities" that matter more. Yesterday I found the communion bread to have plenty of eatability and the wine, sippability. I hope these elements deepened my Holyability. Perhaps Jesus is interested in our Disciple-ability, meaning both our eagerness to follow him and our longing to find others to do the same.

1 comment:

Rick OzTown said...

Reminds me of that most elusive of things that aren't but are imagined to be: Common Sense-ability!!