Thursday, July 31, 2008

How's That Again?

I drove to the nearby town of Dustville today to write my sermon. I usually go out of town to do this, to escape distractions. I'd much rather visit and talk than write, so I get away from Smalltown and don't let myself come back until the sermon is done. I scribbled away in the Dustville local luncheonette, called Lurdy's. Sitting at a 1950s style curvy table and chairs, with Bill Haley and the Comets singing "Rock Around the Clock" in the background, I wrote. I ignored the brightly colored posters of Ford Mustangs, Ford Falcons, and Chevrolet Bel-Airs on the walls, along with black-and-white photos of retro motorcycles. Midway through the sermon I picked up the Dustville Daily Diddle and read the news and op-ed pages. The local Methodist church was hosting an ice cream social while the Baptists were having a churchwide yard sale. A color pullout ad urged me to stop in at the nearby Dairy Freeze for a 99 cent slush or a buck-and-a-quarter corn dog. Then I saw That Letter. In the column of Letters to the Editor, a woman had written in complaining about Daylight Savings Time. Why, she demanded, was Congress so determined to have it? I mean, we get enough sunlight as it is and with global warming we sure don't need any more. Think of all the extra heat it's creating. She mentioned that she was from Arkansas.

No comments: