Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Interlude

At the family reunion we remembered my brother Vic's first attempt at writing a book. He wrote it in sixth grade, in 1978, and it was a detective story called "The Wriley Children." Unfortunately the original has been lost but here are some excerpts.
"Tom Wriley, the oldest, gathered the other Wriley children together to look around the neighborhood to track down Russian spies. He told them, "Go and look around, and then report back to me any suspicious buildings you may find." (As if one of the kids would come back to Tom and say, "I found a suspicious building! It DEFINITELY wasn't there yesterday!")
In another scene, Mr. Wriley is talking to Mrs. Wriley one evening. He says to her, "Honey, I have great news!"
"Oh that is wonderful dear, " said Mrs. Wriley. "What is your news?"
"After 25 years, I have finally found myself a job!"
(Good news indeed. I'm sure Mrs. Wriley was pleased.)

No comments: