Saturday, September 27, 2008

Evangelism Outside the Box

Today I attended the SeaFest extravaganza held annually in Sea City. I knew it was my responsibility to learn more about this seafront culture of which I am now a part, so I took myself to SeaFest for total cultural immersion. I not only want to become part of this culture but also its youth subculture. That made it imperative for me to ride some of the wilder rides that the youth enjoy, in between drinking lemonade and munching a turkey drumstick.

I like this culture very much.

After a few turns on the rides I caught part of a hip-hop concert and admired the young people in gold chains and denim capris with pockets near their ankles. Then I went back to the StormTrooper ride again. The young man running it gave me a funny look when I came back for the third time. He was even more surprised when I told him I was not riding the StormTrooper again, but I did want to give him my business card. It gives my name and says "pastor" and has the Smalltown Church address and phone number on it. I added a big smiley face and wrote, "Come See Me Sometime!"

I could not help recalling a woman friend who told me that she realized she was too old to go trick-or-treating when her Visa card fell out of her candy bag. That may apply to me, but I'm not sure how. I did not lose my Visa card on the StormTrooper anyway. After I was breathless and a little giddy, I caught part of a hip-hop concert by a group called Varcity. They danced cool, man.

Maybe the ride operator was intrigued by a pastor crazy enough to ride the StormTrooper. I'm just glad that at almost a half century old, I can still do it. I'm waiting for the day I faint or cannot walk after I get off the ride, but that has not happened yet. So I still hang out in kid places, even at my age. What the kids don't realize is that inside me, I'm every age I've ever been -- including theirs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep on trucking!