Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ike Yikes!

I decided to make like a tree and leave...or is that make like a banana and split? At any rate, when Hurricane Ike swirled in the Gulf of Mexico and was pointed barely north of Smalltown, it seemed like a good idea to make myself extremely rare here. So I did the funeral I needed to do and then left town. It was strange indeed to look at my dwelling and ponder what exactly I would find, or not find, upon my return. I was lucky. Others were not. Ike turned north of Smalltown at the last minute and smashed into two cities some distance away. Although this is usually a lighthearted blog, my thoughts and prayers are with the people of those cities who lost so much.

While I was gone I had occasion to stroll into a gift shop in Central City to which I had evacuated. Even while worried about the Smalltown people and what Ike would do, I had to laugh at a coffee cup I saw at the gift shop. Do you recall, or have you heard about, what people's mothers in the old days would say when their kid would not eat vegetables at supper? Usually Mom would say something about starving children in Africa who would be thrilled to get that boiled turnip or sauteed spinach. The child's answer would usually be, "So send it to them." The creator of the coffee cup must have had this in his/her mind while affixing the slogan to the cup.

"Drink your coffee. There are people sleeping in India."

No comments: