Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Fur, Fleas, and Funny Relief

Dogs have fleas and Luis brought me his as a gift. There's nothing like feeling nips at the ankles and looking down to see black dots. I do not like using chemical pesticides but I compromised by spraying my closet and bedroom with insect repellent. It may not kill the fleas, but I hope it makes them mildly nauseous.

I cheered myself up after spraying the fleas by calling Mike again in Central City. He is entertaining an old college friend this week from South Africa named Steve Krueger. It is Steve's first trip to North America. Steve likes to gamble and was very interested in the Texas state lottery. Mike brought Steve home after they stopped at a Valero gas station and ice house, where Steve bought several lottery tickets. He also picked up every flyer they had describing how the different lottery games worked. Mike saw Steve poring over the flyers and asked him if something was bothering him. Steve answered, "I'm just trying to figure out which game that woman was playing when she came into the store. I was paying for my lottery tickets and she said, 'I've got thirty dollars on Number Six.' Mike cracked up. "She wasn't playing the lottery, Steve. She was buying gasoline!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only good thing you can do with insect repellent is spray it on YOU. If the fleas stay off the bathroom and the closet, they'll likely end up on YOU. I suspect that is not the end result you were after with your spraying ritual.