Saturday, September 27, 2008

Friday Football Freakin Frenzy

Ecstasy hit Smalltown last night as the Smalltown SuccessMachine won their first football game against East Bear High. As Smalltown lost its previous three games, it was high time for them to rev up the SuccessMachine, but they did. Friday night football is as big here as anywhere and the Friday night lights beamed, along with the crowd, as the Smalltown SM crunched the East Bears. I went to meet people mostly, and it worked. I met our local state representative's wife at the concession stand.

Note to self: Hang out at concession stands more often.

It was a happy coincidence. I had no idea that Monica was our state rep's wife. We were chatting in the long line to get our sausage wraps and candy. She was telling me about being a first grade teacher until she started having kids. Now her husband Juan does his representing thing in Austin and Monica stays here where she has her roots. Little Juan Junior swung on the railings while his slightly older sister Adrianna poked him, in the way children do. When Monica told me who she was, I truthfully told her that one of our members, Mary, knows her well,. At a recent women's meeting Mary had urged us all to vote for Juan (Senior not Junior) in the upcoming election. I told her that I was planning to do so.

The game was exciting. Our quarterback was fast and accurate. The red-uniformed team moved in smooth unity. Feet stomped the bleachers hundreds of times. The smell of nachos and tangy jalapenos was in the air. East Bear lost the game, but they won for best band performance. They had a group of ten girls dressed in tuxedos. Some of them were classically slender and pretty, but about half of them were chunky or more. But they all grinned, strutted their stuff, and wowed the crowd with a foot-tapping, jumping, stamping, swirling routine. I loved it. When I was in school, the females who didn't have a classically pretty figure were sidelined. These girls were out there showing off and getting vigorous exercise! God loves diversity and so do I.

I will close by giving wise counsel to the entire family regarding the car.

Advice to Parents: Kids in the backseat cause accidents.
Advice to Teenagers: Accidents in the backseat cause kids.

No comments: