Saturday, September 20, 2008

Weather On My Mind

I am a wimp about wild weather. Unashamedly I admit it. But I have my reasons. I seem to be a magnet for lightning strikes. I have never been struck by lightning, but there is something about my leaving a car and running for cover that causes lightning to zap and thunder to explode. Recently I was in Sea City at the tail end of a thunderstorm. I was parked outside Half Price Books waiting for the tumult to ease or cease. Half Price Books for me is like San Francisco for hippies. My spiritual home. Some guys run a tab at their local saloon. I run a tab at the Half Price Books coffee shop. Such decadence.

At last things calmed down somewhat. The bookstore was calling me to come in while the storm was warning me to stay put. I had a mental struggle.

Books. Lots and lots of books.
Lightning. One single flash is all it takes.
Books.
LIGHTNING.
Books.
Lightning.
BOOKS!

I emerged from my car and began to jog semi-confidently toward Half Price Books and its relaxing coffee shop. You can guess what happened next.

FLAAAAAASH! Blinding light split the sky.
CRACKABOOMBOOMBOOOOOM!

I pulled my arms over my head in the classic "duck and cover" position as I darted for safety. As I pulled open the door to rush in, I saw a teenage boy and girl sitting under the canopy by the door. I glimpsed khaki, tattoos and nose rings. They stared at me sullenly as if wondering what spaceship I'd come in on.

No comments: