Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Point Oh Oh One (.001) Degrees of Separation

Recently I joined Facebook. Facebook, along with MySpace, is an online networking tool. That looks boring. It is not. Facebook now has 100 million members worldwide and it is growing. It is like a living, breathing three-dimensional high school yearbook. But instead of photos and text from the past, Facebook has pictures and narrative describing people here and now. When I joined Facebook, it was by invitation to become someone's online "friend" there. Now that I have been on Facebook a while, I have fifteen friends and counting. As I understand it, there is great status among teenagers and twentysomethings in having hundreds or even thousands of friends on Facebook.

Once I have established virtual friendships there, I get to see who my friends' friends are. If I know them, I can invite them to become my friends too. And so it goes and so it grows. Through Facebook I am now so networked that all my networks are out networking with my other networks with the goal of creating one giant worldwide Network.

One day I will realize that I have, as a friend of a friend of a friend, Hassad Habib of Jordan, Seung-Kew Choi of Korea, and Akin Ojumu of Nigeria. What a great tool to discourage war and promote peace. "We can't attack the Middle East. My friends Muhammad Al-Fayed, Utsa Mitra, and Aratish Sikh live there." Not only are they my friends but I want to do business with some of them; a war would disrupt the supply lines.

I pray and act for world peace for many reasons. One of them is that, in the end, it's profitable.

No comments: