Saturday, November 29, 2008

Holiday One-Liners

Just got back from a Thanksgiving hiatus. It was great to visit Cheyenne and husband Bruce in Central City. We always drive together on Thanksgiving morning to Bruce's sister Florida's house. On the way to Florida's turkey feast, we sing Arlo Guthrie's song Alice's Restaurant. A Central City renegade radio station plays this song every Thanksgiving day at high noon and 6 pm and we always catch it at one of those times, singing lustily, "You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant..."

In addition, with everyone in jolly holiday mood, I heard several good one liners. Cheyenne, using her cell phone as we drove along, mused, "I tried to call my aunt Jan, but she isn't answering."

Bruce quipped, "I guess she has caller ID."

At Florida's house, a sumptuous mini-mansion outside Spanish City, I learned a new Spanish greeting from one of her cousins there for the feast. He told me to greet a friend by saying, "Como esta frijole, cabrito?" which translates "How have you bean, kid?"

Over turkey, several folks remarked on the disproportionate number of left-handed people at the table. I was one of them. I was happy to tell the crowd that God created us all left-handed. And we remain so until we commit our first sin.

After returning home, I called my friends Roger and Pat in Sea City and wished them Happy Thanksgiving. Roger told me he and Pat were having 40 people over for turkey.

"Holy Cow!" I exclaimed.

"Is that a Hindu greeting?" inquired Roger.

No comments: