Thursday, November 13, 2008

More Retreating Results


There were many hilarious moments at the recent Clergywomen's Retreat. We did some good-natured complaining about difficult church members, nicknamed
"alligators." I am curious to know if church members also have a nickname for difficult clergy. If so, I wonder what that nickname is. I hope I am never associated with it. I am so lucky in Smalltown. I have not run into any alligators. If anyone in Smalltown is reading this, please understand that this is not a challenge for you to become one.

Anyway, I told the clergywomen that I had the perfect solution to the alligator issue. I suggested that we round up all the alligators and make them live in one place. We will have one church for all of them. We will call it Alligators United Church. We will send the most dysfunctional pastor in the region to serve there. Off the top of my head I can think of several likely candidates for the job. They shall remain nameless.

One of my colleagues exclaimed, "That would be the largest church in the area!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds naive; but I don't think the gathering of
the alligators would work. From classrooms, I have
learned that when alligators are removed , they are
replaced almost immediately by someone you would
have never thought could become an alligator. They
rise to the occasion, as it were. What we should do is
write books about the alligators, make heaps of
money and go someplace fun every few months to
forget about them.