Thursday, November 13, 2008

Talking Outside the Box

If I say things like this too often, someone will put me in a box. With bronze handles on it!

I just got back from the Umpteenth Annual Clergywomen's Retreat. It was in Hilltown near sparkling lakes, rolling countryside, and deer. It was quite a change to drive three hours and see this land of hills, rivers, and undulating roads that on occasion I had to downshift my car to navigate. Arriving at the retreat center, I had a glorious reunion with clergywomen I had not seen in years. One enjoyable encounter was with JL, a newly promoted Regional Poobah. The way our church system works, we have one Bishop over the entire area. We have seven Regional Poobahs (RPs) who oversee the clergy and churches in each of the seven subsections in the Bishop's area. JL deserves the honor of being an RP in the swanky Central City region. She is simply great at whatever she does. JL's green eyes sparkled as she described to me the honor of being given our new Bishop's Super Secret Cellphone Number. Imagine being able to call the Bishop any time day or night. That is seriously special.

I had a restless night on a bed that felt like one of the roads I'd driven in on. The next morning we had a discussion about how to deal with conflict in the church. The retreat leader, Rev. Lavender Fish-Dodge, talked about how conflict in the church can be a useful channel for change if it is managed well. She said that one of the needs for change in the church is using more visual media. This is something I am passionate about, so I raised my hand and told her how true her words were. I added, "Maybe it's time to rethink our ordination vows. Right now, elders in our church are ordained to Word and Sacrament. Maybe we need to be ordained to Word, Image, and Sacrament."

There was a stereophonic gasp at this statement that told me I had stepped over the line. Everyone in the room seemed to draw an audible breath at the same time. I am not sure how to interpret that. Two possibilities suggest themselves. Perhaps it was the sound of a paradigm shift, or perhaps it was the sound of my name being gently sucked off the guest list for next year. I will probably pay for my audacity. You know what?

I'll risk it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, that was probably fresh air being sucked in, as in "you are a breath of".