Friday, November 14, 2008

Trunk and Treat


Trunk and Treat in the church parking lot on Halloween was a new experience for me. We decorated our cars, donned costumes, and showed up at the church with candy and other treats in our trunks. I wore my Lady of Ancient Rome costume that I got at the Costume Superstore in Sea City. I walked into the church in my long dark (fake) hair, toga, sandals, and flashy jewelry. I tossed my head in disdain at the others gathered there and sneered, "Ha! Christians. I must tell my dear husband Caesar. The lions are getting a little hungry." Unfortunately I have no picture of me in costume as I was behind the camera.
We advertised the event extensively in the Smalltown Sentinel, the grocery store, pizza parlors, pediatric clinics, and ice houses. On the big day, about 80 kids showed up along with their parents and grandparents to collect treats. Several of them told us, "God bless you." One mother informed us that she was terrified this time each year. She wanted to let her kids trick-or-treat, but was worried about their safety. The church parking lot provided a place that was both fun and safe. I wonder where else these children and families need "sanctuary" and how we might provide it.

Pictured at the top is the Pumpkin Cowboy who served as the Grand Marshal for the event.

No comments: