Saturday, November 15, 2008

I Had a Vision

One of the benefits of being a clergywoman is that I get to have visions and people don't think I'm going psycho. Or if they do, they keep that thought to themselves. I was walking on the beach yesterday and as I watched the seagulls swooping and hollering, I had an epiphany.

Years ago, as a very young woman, I longed for a certain kind of friend. A friend that really understood me, and showed that understanding by how he/she talked with me. I was blessed. I found a few friends like that.

Years ago, as a new young clergywoman I longed for a mentor. I wanted an older, more experienced clergywoman that I could go to either in time of perplexity, to seek counsel; or in time of celebration, to rejoice when something great happened in my ministry. I never found that clergywoman.

But on the beach, I suddenly had a joyous realization. I had longed for a certain kind of friend and I have become that friend. I had longed for a clergywoman mentor, and I have become that mentor. As Mohandas Gandhi said, "We are the people we have been waiting for."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

....and that's a good thing to be. There's an old
saying that the hardest thing about success is finding
someone to rejoice with you.