Saturday, January 10, 2009

Cheyenne's Religious Search

I talked to my friend Cheyenne in Austin today. She calls herself a recovering religious person. I don't know what that means. I do know that once when I was surprised by something and blurted out, "Oh God!" she replied "You called?" Later I heard her say the same thing. "Oh God!" I also cleverly responded, "You called?" She responded, "No. Just talking to myself."

Cheyenne is in full revolt against the religion of her childhood. She claims to follow four religions specific to women: Panty-Ism, Bra-Manism, She-Donism, and Slotha Yoga. She says she still misses her days living in the hippie-heaven Haight-Ashbury area of San Francisco in the 1960s. She and her husband Joe as newlyweds had a tiny apartment there while he was attending college. He had a bad cold one day and trudged off to campus sniffling and sneezing. He stopped on Ashbury Street to swallow some Vitamin C. A long-haired hippie with frayed jeans and a tie-dyed T shirt with PEACE on the front noticed him popping pills and asked, "What ya got there, man?" Joe snapped, "That's ascorbic acid." The hippie's eyes opened wide. "WOW, MAN!" He was impressed. So Joe sold him some.

No comments: