Saturday, January 3, 2009

Our Bodies, Other Bodies, Every Body

I am a follower of Jesus, which means I believe that Jesus was God in a human body. An embodiment of what is divine and spiritual and ethereal. Jesus was the ultimate bridge person, being both human and divine. He made the secular sacred. That means that there is no division between the secular and the sacred. The sacred permeates everything. That also means that even if we get messages from family and culture that our bodies don't matter, they do. What we do with our bodies matters. How we take care of our bodies matters. All matter matters.

I am glad because even after almost fifty years, I stay curious about bodies and what they do and don't do. I find it regrettable that human beings don't fly. I have had wonderful dreams where I soared over oceans and mountains like an eagle, and I wake up outraged that I don't get to fly to work. I know that some of the fishes of the sea have beautiful and bizarre bodies, but they live in the farthest depths of the ocean where nobody but other fish can see them. So who are they beautiful or bizarre for?

While doing laundry or the income tax, I wonder: If I could gather up all the belly button lint I have produced in a lifetime, how much would it weigh? And when I get to Heaven I wonder if I'll get answers from God about stuff like this.

1 comment:

Rick OzTown said...

You say:
==
I find it regrettable that human beings don't fly.
==

But they do fly now. You just have to be in the right place at the right time, wearing the right clothing. Well, you also have to have some skill, which I will pass on any chance of acquiring. See

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1778399&server=vimeo.com&sho

for example.

You also say:
==
And when I get to Heaven I wonder if I'll get answers from God about stuff like this.
==

It is just a supposition on my part, but I will presuppose that you will not be so preoccupied with such questions when your physical body is behind and beyond your current being.

Just some thoughts.