Wednesday, January 21, 2009

How to Throw People Off

I've always been a fan of Groucho Marx. I never knew what he would say next. It might be a clever pun, or a remark that was not exactly risque but could be taken that way, or just something that was a total reversal of what was expected. He once told a date, "I've had a wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." He has had scores of imitators, including Jonas, my friend from HiTekk whom I've discussed before. I once went up to Jonas to greet him at work early one Monday morning. "Hi Jonas," I waved. "No, but I wish I was," he answered.

Pastors have their own version of causing people to do a double take. Tonight the Smalltown United Church Women met at Jonelle Hatfield's house. It's always a treat to meet there as Jonelle is an artist, interior designer, and flower arranger extraordinaire. It's better than a Home and Garden show. Not only that, but we all got to eat her spaghetti and meat sauce which made the whole evening, week, and year worthwhile. Now that I've had Jonelle's spaghetti, 2009 is just all right with me. Of course as it was a meeting of church ladies we all observed the highest rules of Emily Post etiquette while stuffing our faces to the max. After the mega-munching we planned the Smalltown United Church Women program and hostessing calendar for the year. Someone asked me if I would be able to be at the program next year on January 16, 2010. I thought about it for a minute and then shook my head.

"I can't. I have a funeral that day."

No comments: