Sunday, January 11, 2009

Talking to Myself, with Audience

The best sermons I preach are from my own experience. I preach the sermon I'd like to hear and let others overhear. Usually that works for someone else too. Today's sermon was how God at baptism declares, "I like you!" I told the folks that maybe there was someone present who needed to hear that. Possibly there was someone who had a family member who didn't seem to like them, or they were at odds with a friend, or had a coworker who specialized in undermining their self-esteem. As God has declared how much you're liked, I said, you don't have to believe their evaluations of you.

The sermon recalled my Aunt Thelma from long ago, may she rest in peace. Aunt Thelma used to come up with real zingers. Thelma had long blond hair, then long gray hair, then long blond hair again after she dyed it. Going to see her was a memorable experience undertaken in the name of duty because she was "lonesome." When she got ready to "tell you something for your own good" she would wag the index finger adorned with the giant amethyst Uncle Sidney got her in exchange for an easy divorce.

Her piercing green eyes behind cat's glasses would narrow to slits as she began, "I remember the time you were mean to your cousin ten years ago. I can tell you exactly what you said, word for word. It's a vivid memory. Good Golly, you've gained weight, haven't you? Aren't you dieting? By the way, I've decided it's a good thing you haven't reproduced."

Then she would wag her amethyst-ringed index finger and add, "You know, you should have more confidence in yourself."

No comments: