Saturday, August 23, 2008

Creative Animal Names


It rained in Smalltown recently and the nonexistent drainage system continued to non-exist. See photo.





I went to visit Tom and Sandra Morrison today to make sure everything was all right given the runaway grape incident. It was. The Morrisons introduced me to their dainty black female poodle, Rhinestone. In this world of working farm animals it was refreshing to find a fuzzy little lap dog. They are more common in big cities. The Morrisons assured me that Rhinestone could hold her own among the larger nieghbor dogs. That is so often true of miniature canines who seem to radiate the message, "I may be small but I am FIERCE." Rhinestone checked me out with multiple sniffs and a few snorts. Eventually she leaped into my lap. I guess I passed inspection.

The Morrisons also have a mottled black and brown cat with one ragged ear called Yewi. They pronounce it "Yew-ee". I asked where the name came from and if it was foreign. Sandra told me no. Yewi is short for Yew is Ugly.

Tropical Storm Fay brought us squalls of rain and torrents of mosquitoes. I went outside to let my neighbor in to cut the yard for me. His name is Carrol Smith and he's an angel sent from Heaven, I swear. While I unlocked the gate, a thousand mosquitoes all woke up at once, smelling a good meal and parking all over me. I'll have to try taking garlic pills. I hear those make the blood less tasty to the skeeters. I have to do something. The freakin skeeters can bite almost as hard as my dog. Not only am I tired of itching, I don't want to be the first case of Smalltown West Nile Virus.

Speaking of itching, there's an uproar in the district. A new pastor fresh out of seminary was giving a pastoral prayer in his church in nearby Rocktown. He prayed out loud, "Lord, we ask you to be with Albert Johnson as he'll have his hemorrhoid surgery this week. He's itching real bad today." The District Superintendent is coming in to try to calm the waters so members don't flee the church in droves.

No comments: