Saturday, August 2, 2008

A Surprise from My Substitute

When I left town for the family reunion, Frank Flushpoole filled in for me. Frank, needless to say, is a preacher and Lola's husband. He was the pastor of this church for several years. When he retired he stayed nearby because he loves these people so much. On the Sunday I was gone, he wore a salmon-colored leisure suit in the pulpit. Unbeknownst to most of the congregation, Frank had fished the suit out of a cardboard box 30 years ago during a men's clothing drive for the needy. Stan Essofigus had donated it in the 1970s when leisure suits were in vogue. Sue Cantu, one of our younger women members--a dark-haired, dark-eyed fashionable
dresser--noted to Myra MacDonald how good that suit looked on Frank. Stan Essofigus overheard her and said, "Yes, and I have two more suits at home just like it!"

No comments: