Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Dawn of Reflection

After a good night's sleep, I woke up this morning less in the mood to throw a pie or shoe at someone. I revisited the previous post and realized that all writing is autobiography in some way, and pie-throwing is especially so. I understood in the light of dawn who I want to pitch a pie at.

It's the guy who just contacted me asking me to be his friend on Facebook. It was his second try. I ignored his first one. I'll call him Reverend Weasel Ooze. Weasel was on my Probationary Perceptive Panel long years ago, when he was less than straight with me. Okay, I'll be honest. He lied to me. After all this time I could overlook that. But a few years later Weasel, still on the PPP, prevented a good friend of mine from getting ordained. This man, Chuck, was in his probationary period at the time. He ran into Weasel one night while dining with his teenage daughter at a restaurant and they chatted. Weasel loved telling dirty jokes. He told a very raunchy story in front of Chuck's young daughter. Chuck asked to talk with him in private and got furious with Weasel. Weasel muttered an apology, but later went to the PPP and managed to block Chuck's ordination. Our loss. Chuck went Presbyterian.

Weasel has a penchant for saying one thing to the face and another behind the back. I was stunned to get two "friend requests" from him. He must be desperate. I know I need to forgive Weasel. Basically, I have. Not completely, because forgiveness is a process, but I'm working on it. But there is a difference between forgiveness and watching my back. Weasel is treacherous. I trust him as far as I can throw him. To avoid him is not un-Christian. It shows street smarts.

Because I have sort of forgiven him, I will not keep a pie crust and whipped cream on hand in case Rev. Weasel Ooze ever shows up at my door. But it's tempting. Oh, it's tempting.

No comments: