Saturday, December 13, 2008

Pink Floyd Total Art

I've long been enamored of Pink Floyd's music. Earlier this year they won an award in Stockholm, Sweden for "their monumental contribution over the decades to the fusion of art and music in the development of popular culture." Their 1973 album Dark Side of the Moon (DSOTM) was on the Billboard 200 highest selling music albums chart for a record-breaking 741 weeks. I did the math. That equals 14 years and 3 months.

A while back I was blown away by the video of the two DSOTM songs "Brain Damage" and "Eclipse." During a trek to Fry's Electronics megastore in Austin, this music video played on a giant HDTV on a continuous loop for about three straight weeks. The first surprise I had was that Pink Floyd band members are not young guys anymore. When I first saw the lead singer I had the politically incorrect thought "Look! There's Grandpa!" It didn't matter. I went back to Fry's several times just to see it all again. It was almost never without spectators. Old men stared, young boys and teens stood with mouths open, and we midlifers just went "oooh."

The interweaving of music and image here seems magical to me. I concede that most people don't have Pink Floyd's cash flow, but many churches do have a certain level of funding and a wealth of talent with which to blend image and sound, to show people all over again who Christ is. And why He is worth following. I have faith in that.

Those making comments on the Pink Floyd video are all ages. The band seems to transcend generations. You can watch it here. Now imagine it on a giant screen.

What happens at 5:07 on the video still gives me goosebumps.

No comments: