Tuesday, December 23, 2008

RIP Larry Greenawalt


Oh God, how many times am I going to have to go to the beach and cry? I wouldn't give up the fact that there are so many people I know and love, but when they die it's excruciating. Larry Greenawalt was the accompanist at Trinity United Methodist in Central City when I attended there. His exuberance is hard to convey in writing. He died a few days ago when a blood clot in his leg went to his heart, killing him instantly and without any pain. He was not quite 55 years old. I will miss how he called me "darlin". I will miss him as "Mr. G" with his children's music business. He was a total kid magnet. I will miss his extraordinary keyboarding skills and funny music. If only you could have heard his "My Grandpa Is the Santa Claus at Wal-Mart" which ended, "Now this is funny. Uncle Fred's the EASTER BUNNY!" Then there were his performances with his sidekick Karen Kohler in their show Das Kabarett. He loved an audience and we were happy to provide one. As I write this I'm listening to his Das Kabarett song "It's All a Swindle" first written in 1931 by Marcellus Schiffer and called Alles Schwindel. Excerpt from song:

Papa swindles
Mama swindles
Grandmama's a lying thief
We're perfectly shameless
But we are blameless
After all it's our belief
Nowadays the world is rotten
Honesty has been forgotten
Fall in love, but after kissing
Check your purse to see what's missing!
Everyone swindles some
My son's a mooch
And so's the pooch!

*****************************************

Politicians, they're magicians
They make swindles disappear
The bribes they are taking
The deals they are making
Never reach the public's ear
The Left betrays, the Right dismays
The country's broke, and guess who pays?
But tax each swindle in the making
Profits will be record-breaking!
Everyone swindles some,
So vote for who
Will steal for you!

Maybe this is a song about the world Bernie Madoff grew up in.

Nobody did it all better than you, Larry. I know you're bringing love and laughter wherever you are. I'll see you again someday.
Love, Ann

4 comments:

Deb Campbell said...

Hey Ann - I was thinking about Larry tonite, and googled his name on the internet. What a lovely thing to find your beautiful post.

I miss him too....

Hugs - Deb Campbell

Irreverent Reverend said...

Hi Deb! Yes, Larry was a wonderful human being. I miss him too. I bet a lot of people do.

Anonymous said...

Larry was the best human being I've ever known. I am greatly saddend to learn of his passing. We were very close friends for more than 10 years in Austin, TX. When I was ill, he moved in and took care of the household chores. He brought back the music into my life. Larry showed me that God loves me-no matter what and how to share that love with others. Our paths seperated when we both were needed to care for an elderly parent if different parts of the country. I know we'll meet again. Thank you for the beautiful posting.

Karen Kohler said...

Hi Ann,

It's May 7, 2020 and I'm finding this posting from you while searching for info about Larry that I can link to on my website at karenkohler.com.

Larry's passing in 2008 was a grave shock to me as well. He was my first partner in crime in cabaret as you well know, and I think about him so often, his incredible joy, sense of human and loyalty. 25 years later and I'm based in Brooklyn and still presenting some of our most favorite "Das Kabarett" gems all over the world

Perhaps this will find you and find you well.

All best,
Karen Kohler