Monday, December 15, 2008

Mouse and Abandoned House


Last night, the questionable grandmother across the street and her sizable brood of grandchildren got evicted. I feel sorry for those kids, but the house was filthy. This is not the house of a thousand cats next door that I've discussed before. This is the house directly across the street. In Smalltown, when people get evicted they respond by trashing the place before they go. The house has a broken upstairs window and debris scattered all over the place. It looks like a fraternity house after an out-of-control party.
Shrieking and yelling greeted me as I came into the Smalltown church office today. Normally Myra MacDonald, our staff nurse Paula Silva, and I are fairly sedate so this was unusual. I went to investigate. In Paula's office I discovered that we have a church mouse. It ran over Myra's foot. It has been eating the peanut butter and crackers we stock for the homeless. Myra and Paula just got back from the grocery store across the street with mousetraps for our offices and sanctuary. All I need on the fourth Sunday of this blessed Advent season is mice introducing themselves to the congregation. "Hi, I'm Minnie and this is Mickey. Mind if we run up your legs?"

2 comments:

Rick OzTown said...

Eviction the week before Christmas. That has to be a low point in their year. /sigh/

Irreverent Reverend said...

I'd feel even more sorry for them if the grandmother hadn't been rude to both Myra MacDonald and me on more than one occasion. Nobody deserves to be evicted, but there were two sides to this story. The kids were the real victims here.