Monday, December 8, 2008

Catching Football

Sometimes I actually watch football. Except I watch it in my own non-traditional way, focusing less on game tactics than on sideline theatrics. I especially love the way some commentators get hooked on a word or phrase and then repeat it constantly. In the 1970s, Howard Cosell did this all the time. But it still happens today. I heard a commentator a few weeks ago overwork the word situation.

"This is going to cost that quarterback a first down situation. Now we have a penalty situation. They were definitely offsides so that is a yellow flag situation. The coaches are going over the defense situation. The halfback is out of bounds. He hit a cameraman, so we have an injury situation. But it looks like it's not a serious situation. The clock has run out so we're in a halftime situation. So before we take a commercial break here's the replay situation."

I left the living room and went to the kitchen to create a sandwich and chips snack situation.

No comments: