Friday, December 19, 2008

Sea City Scenes

My favorite Euro-style cafe on the edge of Sea City is closing. I will miss it, but its prices were a little high. Even in its "Everything Must Go" sale, the owner offered a painted wooden hutch priced at $2400. Obviously I have been hanging out with the local aristocracy. After stopping there today for the last time, I headed into Sea City and once again saw someone holding a sign for The Sleep Shop saying, "Going Out of Business Sale." This store has been going out of business for six months and counting. Every time I drive up to the intersection, summer or winter, there is someone holding that big yellow sign nailed to a wooden plank. It is usually a dark-haired young guy plugged into an iPod, singing loudly, chewing gum while singing, and looking bored to death in his role as professional street corner sign-holder.

I drove on to get my hair cut. Next door to the Cost Cutters salon was a Marble Slab Creamery offering sundaes and milkshakes. I gained ten pounds just looking at the word Creamery. I will consider offering them my business if they become a Skim-Milkery.

1 comment:

Rick OzTown said...

U-sed:
a Marble Slab Creamery offering sundaes and milkshakes. I gained ten pounds just looking at the word Creamery. I will consider offering them my business if they become a Skim-Milkery.
==
But think of how little business they would have if they did not cater to the mental image of decadence of full-on milkfat that is promised in the word "Creamery"!
"We'll make you skinny while you gorge" is not a company statement that is destined to become legend...at least in the positive direction.
Keep up the mental defenses against your evil leanings. Better health and lost hedonistic experiences MAY prolong your life.