Thursday, October 23, 2008

Excitable Election Elements

The next one week and five days are going to be a political thunderstorm. I cannot recall an election season as intense as this one. In Smalltown, some folks are up in arms because campaign signs for Abel Herrero are vanishing, courtesy of a thief in the night. A gang in Sea City is disappearing McCain/Palin signs. Yes, "disappearing" is now a verb courtesy of this election. Political fanatics are watching every dip, swerve, and roll of the polls. Outside the Smalltown County Municipal City Center where we vote (we're small so it's all rolled into one) people stand with poster boards held high with the names of their favorite candidates. At church meetings Smalltown members urge me to vote for certain folks and warn me that other folks will, should they win, run us into the ground and decimate the Smalltown school system.

I'm going to vote early today as voting is my patriotic duty. But I'm going to have lunch first. That ballot is extremely long. After the election some publisher is going to bind it into volumes one through ten.

I have to break the intensity with a story that makes me smile. Did you hear about the man who was looking for a way to make his marriage better? He went into a secondhand bookstore and bought a book called How to Hug. After he got it home he realized he had purchased Volume Eight of an encyclopedia.

No comments: